Eden Lettings
& Management

Information for Applicants & Tenants

Applicants - Fees and Charges

There has been appreciable dissatisfaction expressed in sections of the Press in recent months on several matters, including Letting Agents' fees and charges. Eden Lettings & Management is clear in its policy on the subject of charges made to applicants. We try to be fair and reasonable. We incur costs in processing applications and take the view that since not all applications result in a tenancy, it is not fair to expect Landlords to pay for them. We aim to cover our processing costs but not to make a huge profit from them.

We charge in two stages. We make an inital charge at the point of application, which is non-refundable if the application is processed. If the application is rejected by the Owner without it being processed and if we do not incur costs, we will refund the fee. If an application results in an offer of tenancy being made and if (and only if) the Applicant accepts the offer and we draw up papers, we then made a second, single charge. This means that only the successful applicant pays the full process fee and unsuccessful applicants and those who choose to withdraw do not!

If a Tenancy Agreement is renewed, we reserve the right to make an administrative charge but this event depends on the willingness of the Tenant to renew the agreement and therefore the liability to charge is within the Tenant's control.

Our charges are as follows. These have been reviewed and are effective from the 1st January 2017.

  • Application fees - £ 48.00 per applicant
  • Inventory Clerk charges (following offer of tenancy) - £ 84.00 per letting
  • Agreement renewal fees - £ 84.00 per event
  • Our charges subject to VAT and are quoted on a VAT inclusive basis.
  • We do not charge holding deposits or holding rents.

If clarification is required, please enquire.

EL & M can offer Applicants and Potential Tenants:

  • Advice on market conditions and property selection
  • Advice on the implications of taking a lease

Some Common Questions Answered:-

Need I supply references?

Yes! Usually, applicants are asked to provide names and addresses of their bankers, a character referee and either their employer, their accountant (if self-employed) or pension provider (if retired). We then apply to each of the nominated referees for references. We also (with applicant's approval) carry out credit checks through our on-line referencing facility.

What if I cannot supply the required references?

In appropriate circumstances, Landlords may accept an application if the rent is underwritten by a Guarantor. People who agree to act as Guarantors are subject to credit and reference checks in the same way as applicants themselves.

Will I be asked to sign a tenancy agreement?

Yes, most commonly an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. The normal minimum term will be for 6 months. In most instance, Tenants will enjoy security of tenure by law for this fixed period and will also be liable to pay the rent for the term. Thereafter, Tenants can either accept a fixed-term replacement tenancy or allow the letting to pass into a statutory periodic tenancy. In the latter case, Tenants can leave on giving one month's notice from a rent day and can be asked to leave by the Landlord on being given two months' notice.

Must I pay a deposit?

Almost invariably, yes! Normally, it is equivalent to one month's rent. It may be held either by the Landlord or by us (usually when acting as managing agent). It is returnable at the end of the tenancy provided that the rent is paid in full and the property is handed back in good order. The Record of Condition that may be prepared at the beginning of the tenancy sets the standard by which the property is judged at the end of the tenancy and therefore the Record is of equal value to both Landlord and Tenant.
NOTE: Since April 2007, tenants' deposits have been protected by law. They have to be held either by a government agency or within the terms of one of two government approved schemes backed by insurance. EL & M subscribes to the Government-sponsored Deposit Protection Scheme, which is the body that actually holds the deposits.

For what else must I pay?

Commonly, water, gas, fuel oil and electricity consumed in the premises, for drainage and for a telephone (if connected). Some owners may include some or all of these bills in the rent. Anything that is being included ought to be made clear to applicants before they sign a tenancy agreement.

Can I change the decorations or put up shelves?

Usually, no, not without the permission of the Landlord.

Are pets allowed?

It depends on the preference of the property's owner. Applicants should make specific enquires before asking to view a particular property.

Are applications supported by Housing Benefit acceptable?

Again, it depend on the preferences of Landlords. Some will accept Housing Benefit (DSS) applications, some will not. Applicants should make their circumstances clear when enquiring about properties. We are happy to assist with applications to the Local Authorities for Housing Benefit.

Are their any other problem areas?

Yes! Some owners will not accept applications from smokers, others do not encourage applications from families with small children. Again, applicants should make particular enquiries when registering interest in any property.

If anyone intending to rent a property has other queries, we are happy to receive enquiries in person, by telephone or by e-mail.

Return to the Top of the Page